A sunroof is a mobile panel on the roof of any type of car that expands up and opens like a window on the top of the roof of the car to let the fresh air reach the passengers. Car sunroofs are known by many names and contain a lot of varied types.
Some of the types of car sunroofs are-
- Pop-up car sunroofs in India – These are simply a man- operated or manual tilting panels. This category of the sunroof is particularly much more expensive than others available in the market. Examples of cars in which this type of car sunroof can be found include- Porsche 944, Mazda RX-7, etc.
- Spoiler car sunroofs in India – These sunroofs tilt to vent and slide to open the roof above, requiring little headroom or roof length. Spoilers, unlike the rest of the sunroofs, do not open the roof of the car completely but provide a self-storing panel for the customer`s convenience. Examples of cars in which this type of car sunroof can be found include- Honda CRX etc.
- Inbuilt car sunroofs in India – This type of sunroof provides a panel that opens up the roof of the car in a way that creates a window through the major part of the roof of the car. This leads to the interior headliner of the car some loss of headroom but provides a full opening in the roof. Examples of cars in which this type of car sunroof can be found include- Ford Thunderbird.
- Folding car sunroofs in India – They offer the sunroof, with an opening just like that of a convertible car. The panel is made of fabric that folds back as it slides open. Examples of cars in which this type of car sunroof can be found include- VW beetle, JEEP liberty.
- Top-mount sliding car sunroofs in India – They contain large glass panel slides open in tracks on top of the roof, with no loss of headroom. Examples of cars in which this type of car sunroof can be found include- Renault 5 cars.
- Panoramic roof car sunroofs in India – This type of car sunroof is comprised of a huge multi-panel moonroof that provides access to the user to be opened from the top of both the front and rear seats and may be operable or fixed glass panels. Examples of cars in which this type of car sunroof can be found include- Lexus ES, BMW MINI, Mercedes C class, Acura ZDX, etc.
- Removable roof panels car sunroofs in India – Removable roof panels are one of the most popular sunroofs and are popularly known as Targa roofs. These sunroofs open the car`s roof to the windows on the sides, creating a wider opening than other sunroofs that are available. These sunroofs are mostly available in high-end sports and convertible cars. The style of the Targa roof is similar in specifications to the Sedanca but is designed for user-driven. The only difference between the Targa roofs and Sedanca is that the Targa or the T-roofs have two removable panels which leave the T-shaped structural brace in the roof center. Examples of cars in which this type of car sunroof can be found include- Porsche 911 Targa, Honda NSX, Porsche 914, Chevrolet Corvette, and many more.
- Solar car sunroofs in India – The title of this category of sunroofs makes it pretty clear about what these roofs are. These sunroofs comprise a glass panel that isbuilt of a hatched solar panel that makes them opaque. These function similarly to the classic sunroofs. When the sunroof is shut, the solar panel produces electricity to provide power to the ventilation fans that are set up in the interior of the panel, for cooling the interior of the car on hot days when it is standing outside in the sunlight. Examples of cars in which this type of car sunroof can be found include- Recent Audi cars, 2010 Prius, Renault Zoe, Mazda 929.
- Moonroof car sunroofs in India – This type of sunroof is transparent and usually consists of glass or plexiglass. This type of sunroof enables the sunlight to enter the car despite it being closed. Examples of cars in which this type of car sunroof can be found include- Aston Martin Lagonda from series 2, to 4, Mk1 Ford Fiesta, and many more.
Now that we have discussed a variety of car sunroofs that are available in India, Let`s check out the benefits and drawbacks of car sunroofs in India.
ADVANTAGES OF CAR SUNROOFS IN INDIA –
– It gives the car a stylish interior and exterior making it look trendy.
– They provide the user a sort of an extra window that enables them to breathe in the more fresh air.
– During the time of traffic jams, the car sunroofs come in handy as they fairly reduce the noises of vehicles and prevent the unpurified air to enter the passenger’s cabinet.
– It gives a beautiful view during the rains as the raindrops fall on the glass of the sunroofs.
– In cold climates, these sunroofs enable the sun to throw in bright rays and make the driving experience better.
– A Sunroof can operate in dual ways, firstly, the whole roof and secondly, the tilt function. It depends upon the type of car that the user has purchased. With the usage of either of the two, one can drastically tone down the warmth of the car’s compartment.
DISADVANTAGES OF CAR SUNROOFS IN INDIA –
– On hot days or in places with extreme temperatures, this feature can be completely ignored as at those times, the ACs or heaters are on in the car.
– On the days of harsh sun, moonlight car sunroofs only add to more sun rays which can irritate.
– In case of the glass breaks, it is quite expensive to be repaired.
– During rainy days the water might seep in making the car wet and filled with water.
– The cars without sunroofs generally offers more headroom space for the passengers.
– The car sunroofs are not at all cost-effective and are extremely high in price. In simple words, they are a luxury to have in your car.
Hence, car sunroofs majorly don’t have a function apart from a feel-good factor or desire for trendy looks. With high maintenance buying it or not is entirely the user’s will considering all the pros and cons for the same.